View Full Version : Rońc's Perch
This week, I are been mostly eatin'... horses.
Thus begins my public log/skull.
Other things what I have done have already been listed by Kev, so no need to mention them again here.
Today though, I have:
- Retouched the Rohirrim cavalry to make them a little more fitting, given them nicer horses and made them more ogleable for the local ladies.
- Made a creature type and summoning widget for every type of non-magical DLA horse barring only the jousting ones.
- Updated the module's on-activate item script to account for all the new horses (it's now more than 2400 lines long!).
- Updated the merchants to give them widgets fitting to their regions.
- Added horse managers to all the horse merchants.
Hopefully the horses should now work without problems. Let me know if there are any.
Additionally to the horses, I have updated the appearances of those in Edoras who were wearing stupid hats, and visually improved a few more of the Rohirrim armours.
In answer to those who need reassuring that stuff is being done behind the scnes as well as the updates in front, I have copied this from my progress thread in the Admins forum.
I don't really like doing this, because then everyone says 'great!' and if I then hit a snag, they start muttering. Rather promise next to nothing and give unexpectedly. But since you *are* muttering, here you go. ;)
Please keep in mind that my rate of progress depends entirely on my free time, and fixing bugs, and the help I get with certain scripts that are beyond me, so I will not give even a vague timeline on any of this.
- Completed a series of new roadways about Eriador, stretching from Bree to The High Pass and south to Tharbad.
- Completed a new Ranger Camp which is off the Greenway in the wilds, and is unfindable by anyone who has not completed Bence's quest.
- Moved Strider to the new camp and created a new questgiver NPC: Halbarad (In the books he is the leader of the Grey Company, who comes to the aid of Aragorn and the Rohirrim before they go through the Paths of the Dead.)
- Completed a new 'off the Greenway' area where anyone looking for the Rangers will be ambushed by them and asked their business.
- Changed Bence's conversation to make him much more guarded about the Dunedain's history and operations
- Made progress in two new ranger quests set in Lond Daer (about 60% complete), and off the Great East Road and into the Trollshaws (about 85% complete)
- Made progress in a third quest aimed at higher levels (about 30% complete, and probably needing some scripting help)
- Created the NPCs and scripts necessary to start off the
Mirkwood elves' campaign (First quest about 40% done)
- Touched up some of the Mirkwood areas to go towards completing a basic network of traversible areas, area transitions etc.
-----Basic Framework of Mirkwood - about 85% complete
-----Mirkwood quests - about 5% complete
-----NPCs, ideas and items - about 80% complete
To do (next):
- Finish off Lond Daer quest and Troll quest (get scripting help where necessary)
- Include and upload.
- Come up with at least 4 more repeatable D˙nedain quests.
- Include and upload.
- Work on the final Dunadan quest whilst switching attention to Mirkwood quest string and Dale.
- Complete base (non-quest) Mirkwood areas, so the whole region is playable and has basic content like loot and spawns.
- Get the first couple of quests in Mirkwood up and running, including some quick random patrol quests in the style of the Dunedain quests, but maybe a bit simpler.
More distant future:
- Start on the Mirkwood Campaign proper, and delegate Dale and Rhűn areas already created?
- Get the Mirkwood elves campaign complete.
- Redo early Dol Guldur quests to include things like scripted manoeuvres, capturing slaves etc. and make full use of the new areas created for the evil campaign
Way distant future:
- Dol Amorth, Pelargir, Princelands.
Great! *mutters* Why isnt it finished yet? ;)
Edit: WAIT ...Pelargir... *w00t*
- Added Kev's fixes to the Forochel side quests (though for a full list of what was fixed, ask him, since it was his work)
- Updated the Umbar horse merchant which I had previously missed in my updates.
- Made sure that everyone who sells horses also sells steed manager widgets.
Alas and alack, my semi-trusty computer has finally and after many years of devoted service, died. It seems to have blown its power unit again, and this would cost me hundreds and big headaches to replace (since they have stopped producing them).
I am currently counting my pennies and looking enviously at the 24" iMacs in the Apple store. If I do decide to get one, it will be a massive boost to my playing time and productivity, since I would at last have a computer that would have a compatible GPU, run smoothly as a millpond, and run the toolset without crashing, all on the kind of screen and interface that most tech/arty geeks would sell their grandmothers' wheelchairs for. Unfortunately I do not have a grandmother whose wheelchair I can sell, so it might be a little while in the coming.
In the meantime, I will try to keep building and playing on my horrible cruddy little brick of a PC laptop, but be warned, I will probably crash out every 20 minutes or so as my graphics drivers commit seppuku, and I will have to play from the kitchen table, since the laptop does not have a wireless card. Lovely as my kitchen is, it's a bit inconvenient for other people to have to limbo under power and ethernet cables, and I fully expect a tripping accident to occur at some point, so I've abolished the use of sharp/breakable things for the duration (bring on the tinned soups!).
Anyway, the upshot is: "ARSE!"
Never seen such a cheery post about a very frustrating situation!
Nice to hear your still alive :)
... it's beena while, and in fact it's been so long since I started adding stuff to my copy of the module that I can't remember everything that's been added, but a shortish list of some of it follows:
- New areas for Bree, Eriador, roadways all the way into the mountains and down to Tharbad.
- Area transition scripts give a sense of how far you have gone (currently only implemented in these areas)
- New Ranger quest available from Halbarad, in the rangers' new camp (which is roughly in the same place as the old one)
- Added a few new enemies
- Numerous small fixes and tweaks e.g. changing Nightstalker spiders to make them less boring to fight, weakening the Black Beast slightly to make it less dangerous for unwary newbs.
-Added scripts to entry area to make it more obvious for new characters where to go
- And a heap of other small thigns that are currently skipping my mind.
Please be aware, the new tilesets are required now.
OK, 16/25 bugs that I spotted on new content have been fixed. I'll have a crack at the rest tomorrow.
- Renamed Neldor and made him human
- Fixed the children in Bree not running about
- Put in a door transition to Bill Ferny's house by the South gate
- Fixed 8 other minor issues with transitions and waypoints
- Made sure that the milestones showing distance to Archet, Coomb, Staddle and Bree are useable so you can actually read them.
- Added in the signposts for Mathas' quest on the Greenway and in Bree
- Checked over a few broken conversation files
- (hopefully) Fixed the problem with the millions of rangers spawning off the Greenway
- Changed the CR of a certain spawn to make sure the desired level range gets an XP reward.
- Fixed a few in-quest dialogues
- Changed the tags of the horses in the Ranger camp so they can't be stolen (hopefully)
- A few more minor tweaks which slip my mind
- Made some progress towards implementing the basic mirkwood non-quest areas and polishing up Dale a bit so that it can be added.
- leaving and re-entering the map will not spawn additional bowmen, but also doesn't seem to despawn the existing ones (probably a known issue);
- more importantly, Bence has just spawned for me (as I left the camp) at a remote corner of the map, nowhere near the stone circle. Only found him by searching the whole area.
Also, in case this isn't one of the "minor tweaks" anyway: certain trolls should not pursue their victims outside their home area and onto a well-travelled main road.
Dont't forget that the great east road is only well-travelled by people on our server. in Tolkien lore it had hardly been used for hundreds of years, except by the occasional party of dwarves heading to the Blue Mountains, and of course elf messengers, who leave no tracks so hardly count anyway. As for rangers despawning, I put that on the onexit script. Not firing? damn. I'll have to redo it
*Politely ushers further discussion concerning the update to the developers forum*
Tonight, Jim, I have:
- Added 13 Dol Amroth areas and one Dor in Ernil town for upcoming DMAs (They currently lack a population, merchants, quests etc.)
- Made the Ranger Camp and the Rangers' tent free rest areas.
- Fixed Halbarad's quest dialogue so he will no longer shun you once you've done the quest.
- Re-armed Bence and given him better looking gear
- Fixed transitions in the South downs and the Pony, added back the Longbottom Lorestore in Bree (forgot to putit in last time)
- Added Bongo's writing system, so you can now write notes, books and sealed letters. Equipment for doing so availble in Longbottom Lorestore in Bree, Apothecaries in Umbar, Minas Tirith and Tharbad, and the Librarian in Rivendell.
- Numerous minor tweaks which I have forgotten.
As of Tonight:
- I have partially added some of my new areas to the Anduin Vales, Mirkwood and Rhovanion. There are now two roads through Mirkwood:
= The old elf road (as seen in the Hobbit), which runs north of the mountains, and begins North of the Carrock. Comprises several new areas, including the enchanted river. I've had to trim out some features (e.g. the ability to get lost) since they weren't completely implemented into my module yet, but they will emerge with time. Good way for goodies to go since it's safe, bad idea for evils since it's enchanted.
= The old forest road - I have not yet replaced the old areas for this road, since several quests depended on them, just quickly made one or two of them more atmospheric. Finishes in wetlands as described. I will attend to the scripts involved in the marsh tomorrow, to make them a bit less harsh.
- I have replaced all low-level wood elves with woodsmen, since I have always thought that having elves as lvl 2 cannon fodder was just wrong. I haven't yet changed the Dol Guldur quest dialogues to reflect the change in race.
- Dol Guldur uses some new areas, but there is no new functionality there, just a few cosmetic changes.
- Nightstalker spiders have been rebalanced to make them hit harder, lower AC, and no stoneskin.
- Olog hai no longer wait around trying to throw rocks at PCs, thereby making them a bit less useless in battle.
- Wood elf waywatchers are now about equivalent to Deep orcs in their power.
- Amon Arantaur bowyer's shop no longer uses appraise checks. Fletcher's arrows are currently overpriced; I'll see to that tomorrow.
More to come, and I have probably done more than I remembered to mention above, but those are the main points.
Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.0.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.