Thread: Say no to 0800 numbers

Mongrol Guest
    Well that weekend was a resounding success of online gaming. Wireplay.co.uk was almost unloadable from a variety of ISP`s and completely unloadable from Wireplay Direct. The Tribes openplay servers were giving 900ms pings. The result of thousands of 0800 users d`loading pr0n and w4rez no doubt.
    I was speaking to a few of these users and they said speed was fine. Aaah, but TCP packets used for normal net usage are error checked so lost packets are resent. UDP which is used for games are 1 shot "luck" packets. Packet gets lost, its not resent, players warp all over the place and you`re lagged to hell and back.
    BoyCott 0800 numbers!! Save our gaming (and my sanity) http://www.wireplay.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Mongrol,
    The Skiing Tank.

DR DRE Guest
    what the **** are you talking about 0800 calls are the best and you will never say different do you hear!!!!

i f i hear that you've said anything about them again i'll find you and shut you up for good!!!

Mongrol Guest
    C`mon then... outside.... anytime....

I`ve got isdn. And wireplays network came lumbering to a halt for me over the weekend. This is due to the 0800 rush. So it can feck off. Infact, I`m starting a campaign for increased phone charges in your area, so nyah! http://www.wireplay.co.uk/ubb/tongue.gif

Mongrol,
    I`m rich and I`ll prove it.

VELVET Guest
    Well after taking 42 free hours in total the weekend before last I actually kept paying for my net usage this weekend...

I found using WirePlay Direct was fine for the WirePlay Tribes servers and my normal BTInternet account for net based Tribes servers...

So the answer is to let people have shļte games for free while we pay to kill them while they're lagged out http://www.wireplay.co.uk/ubb/stare.gif

Buzza Guest
    Hi all

Seems to me, Wireplay is getting to popular for its own good. WP doesnt seem to be able to cope with the extra amnount of players these days.

My 0800 internet access is fine, but gameplay on Wireplay is terribly slow. Barrysworld is faster but the servers tend
    to be full. I just cant win.

Roll on ADSL or whatever is going to supersede 56k modems.

Buzza Guest
    Hi all

Seems to me, Wireplay is getting to popular for its own good. WP doesnt seem to be able to cope with the extra amnount of players these days.

My 0800 internet access is fine, but gameplay on Wireplay is terribly slow. Barrysworld is faster but the servers tend
    to be full. I just cant win.

Roll on ADSL or whatever is going to supersede 56k modems.

Kulkusa Guest
    Why not stop BT Internet or any other "free" ISP's from accessing Wireplay without directly connecting to Wireplay itself, so they have to pay?

It would work, we then let pepole who pay for their call access Wireplay and those who dont can access the Web but not Wireplay?

------------------
    Kulkusa

Buzza Guest
    NO DONT.

Kaiser_Sozey Guest
    DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!
    I love this free net access and the fact is it aint going to go away! http://www.wireplay.co.uk/ubb/tongue.gif
    Isnt WP part of BT neway so the idea of making BT customers (who pay £11.75 a month for the priviledge) pay for the access of wp like those who r not on a BT server would be criminal!
    And my connection to WP all weekend was great, and i wasnt disconnected from BT at all! I was on for about 6 hours.
    Good Job BT!

Chainsaw Nige Guest
    Yeah we (BT Internet subscribers) pay enough for the service so it's about time we got something free.
    I didn't notice any performance drop over the weekend, either. And what are the ISDNers moaning about? 99% of the time they get a ping that's at least half mine. Buggers :-)

chaz3 Guest
    I use bt, and if i didn't, i would. stop compaining and get bt internet you jealous,4rsey people. (and i have isdn).
    I love my 50-200 pings. ahh. hahaha. suffer miserably.
    Thankyou for your time
    ChaZ
    p.s. DIE

chaz3 Guest
    Did I say that out loud???

Unco Guest
    Whhhaaattt! I logged on with an 0800 number and wp slowed to a crawl! In a room or corridor - fine, out in the open my ping went to 3000!!! Straight back to wp direct for me then!

Unco Guest
    Oh yeh, I'm gonna try again tommorrow, any tips from anyone on settings for the connection, ie error control off and all that jazz? Ta.

------------------
    If anyone wants lessons in killing yourself, just ask!
    Uncoordinated by name, Uncoordinated by nature!

Picard Guest
    Okay for a start off Mongrol, you are being a selfish git. We all can't afford phone bills like you are thinking about.
    M8 if you have money to spare, spend it on a holiday or something. These free phone numbers give us the chance to use something that should of been free from the start.
    Plus you have a lot of people against you now
    That isn't a good idea

Bigal Guest
    I get a constand ping rate of 150 with my 56k.
    I cannot find much wrond, I went on WP Direct yesterday (Not 0800 number) and I didnt have much problem. My ping is only beaten by those with ISDN. I must agree that WP could improve things at its end of the line what with dropping out and COULD NOT DISCONNECT FROM ROUTER. I think that the 0800 numbers are a cool idea and that they are the future of the internet, one day we wont have to pay at all. I havent been affected by any influx of people using 0800's and i have the ping to prove it. And if u want real improvement, u could always by a P3, I have and its ace.
    Secondly, I think that Wireplay should make it completely free, no call charges and just have adverts like websites on the internet.

SmodelonmyD Guest
    well my pings been not much worse since 0800, i freeze more but hey ITS FREE

Daniel Polwarth Guest
    Now lets get one thing clear people. It is not the fault of FREE local calls that you have low ping rates. In America, ALL LOCAL CALLS ARE EFFECTIVELY 'FREE,' in that they charge a flat rate for all of them. And they have reasonable ping rates for their services, despite a heavier demand.

The problem lies with BT. They obviously cannot be asked to improve the situation despite having the resources to do so (by the time I have completed this letter, they will have earned, in pure profit, more than any of us make in a year. PUT TOGETHER.) Believe me, if they wanted to give us all lower ping rates, they could. With small change.

But the ****ers will not. You know why? Because they love the tit, and people like him, who started this thread. The grey men in grey suits must **** themselves when they see gamers calling for metered charges, because it means you will be screwed time and time again for a service that America enjoys for free.

People like you make me sick. You are probably very fat, with a posh middle-class accent, and an only child. And we all hate you, and I suggest that the people who have been striving for years for free Interent access all spend some time concentrating on giving this tit cancer with the power of our minds . . . as in South Park.

Dan Polwarth

AcidicFish Guest
    You stupid ****, the one who said stop people accessing wp using the BTinternet number.

In the last year i've given WP well over £1000 in phone calls and that ain't including the subscription fees.

And now at last I can get free access to the net and wp on Weekends ONLY and stupid ****s like you say they should get rid of it.

Did you know BT make £130ish every second. Yes thats right per second. And yet they still give us all ****e performance.

Thread Information